Going Organic – Top Three Things Food Handlers need to consider
Making the switch from conventional to organic is a multiyear process that can have some substantial payoffs in terms of worker health, customer demand and food quality. Here are the top three things to consider before making the switch.
Is Your Operation and Products Eligible for Organic Certification?
The first step in making the switch to organic is ensuring that your facility is organic compliant. The USDA’s NOP (National Organic Program) wrote and defined the organic standard. We recommend checking out the USDA’s Guide for Organic Processors as a great way to implement organic practices on site.
In addition, food handlers need to make sure their single/multi-ingredient products are organic compliant. Single ingredient handlers will need to make sure they have a USDA organic certificate for products being purchased. Multi-ingredient handlers will need to make sure at least 95% of their product consists of certified organic ingredients by weight. The remaining 5% of ingredient(s) can be non-organic, however they need to comply with the National List.